Pages

Living Not Fighting with Dysautonomia

Sunday, June 22, 2014

I stumbled across this amazingly sarcastic and hilarious blog LetsFeelBetter last week and one of her recent blog posts really resonated with me. I would encourage you to check it out if you have a chronic illness or know someone who has one. The blog post is called Five Ways You're Not "Living" with Chronic Illness Here's a little peek of what lead to another ah-ha moment for me.   

4. You’re Not Living with Chronic Illness if You’re “Fighting” It

Chronic Illness is not cancer. You don’t “fight” it. You don’t “beat” it. You don’t make a voodoo doll out of it and start stabbing it with acupuncture needles. In the same way we don’t use the word “cure” to mean “treat’ we can’t use the word “fight” to mean “deal with.” Don’t head-butt your disease, outsmart it.

can I get an "Amen" and a "Hallelujah" please?! this girl gets it. I could seriously give her a hug. since reading her blog post I've felt this huge sense of relief and happiness. it's okay to give up. to wave the white flag. to call a truce. it's okay to stop fighting.  

Navigating life is tricky. Navigating life with a Nans is hilarious. In case you forgot, Nans is the name I have bestowed on my naughty autonomic nervous system/autonomic disorder. I spend a lot of my day in eager anticipation of what crazy thing she'll decide to do next. or actually in addition to what she's already doing. The thing about Nans is she's got a lot of naughty tricks up her sleeve - nausea, chest pain, dizziness, tachycardia and the list goes on and on. 

Since writing in the pursuit of happiness and health I've been working on figuring things out a little bit more. I just love it when someone else shares something and you can say "yes that's what I've been thinking or wanting to believe is true" Living with Nans means not fighting. it means managing. coping. accepting. dealing with. adjusting. it means having fun. laughing. enjoying life. focusing on the positive.   


living not fighting with dysautonomia


here's to living with a chronic illness and continuing to love life! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)